Apr 16, 2012

Cupcaked out!

Happy Monday lovelies!

Can I just start by telling you that I had a great weekend! It was a busy weekend, I went Ikea, baked cupcakes, made lemon cheesecake, went out for a friends birthday, celebrated Orthodox Easter and caught up on missed episodes of Hart of Dixie.. Hmmm I would also say that after that list, that I had a successful weekend.  I got through all of that, and didn't pass out from exhaustion. Although, sitting at work today in front of the computer is making me feel a little sleepy.

We celebrated Easter at my in laws place on Sunday for lunch, and I promised my mother in law that I would bring some yummy desserts. So i made cupcakes and lemon cheesecake. More on the cheesecake in a later post.

Im so proud of the cupcakes that I made this weekend. It was my first time ever making cupcakes from scratch. I usually cheat and just buy the premixed box packs.

A while ago I came across Rosie's blog - http://sweetapolita.com/blog/, and can I just say every single recipe makes me drool a little over my keyboard! Ah who am I kidding, I drool alot! I used Rosie's recipe for Bakery Style Vanilla Cupcakes. I wont lie, I was nervous. I have never made my own mixture for cupcakes before, my palms were sweating..... I made sure I followed the recipe to the last letter. I wanted my cupcakes to be a huge success at our Easter lunch.

Here is how it all went down....
The Recipe
I like to be very precise with my measurements


See, very precise =)

One thing that should be mentioned in the Recipe is that because the
ratio of sugar to butter is so much greater, all the sugar doesn't dissolve.
Because it was my first time ever making this, I didn't know if what I was
doing was right or not. At this stage I considered throwing out the mixture and starting all over again.

This is what it looks like when you have added the sugar. Its not fluffy like
I imagined it would be. 

After adding all the flour, milk and Vanilla extract, and beating it for a
few minutes, it turned into a thick and creamy consistency. Just how I
thought it should look. The sugar had all dissolved by this stage

All my cupcakes filled. I tried to put the exact amount in each cupcake
holder, and then smoothed them down in the hope that they would
rise evenly. 

Turns out that i don't have the worlds best oven for baking. As you
can see, they did not rise evenly. It didnt bother me too much, the icing
would cover them nicely.

The icing... what can I say? It tasted delicious!

Ta-Da! The finished product =)
I must admit, they are the best cupcakes I have ever tasted.
They were a huge success at Easter lunch. 

As you can see, I tried to make each cupcake original. 

1 comment:

Adrijana said...

They were so delicious, yum!